Saturday, October 16, 2010

Primal "Peanut Butter"

Oh.my.gosh the kids and I are in LOVE!  This weekend we were busy making up roasted nut butters.  And the reason?  The Almond Butter I planned to purchase at my online health food store was $17!  I'm thinking that does not fit into the budget.  So I roasted up some nuts and abused my food processor (it was smoking a little!).  I think I will make this occasionally to not stress the food processor quite as much, and it is very rich so we will probably not eat it daily but more as a treat.

1 Cup Raw Almonds
1 Cup Raw Pecans
*note: keep all skins intact.  Do not blanche or the nuts will never make it to a butter (trust me)
1/4 tsp Kosher Salt
Honey drizzled in (optional)
Extra Virgin Coconut Oil Drizzle (optional-if you want super creamy butter)

Place nuts on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.  Bake at 350 degrees until roasted.  The kids commented it smelled like popcorn in the kitchen.  Check the nuts at 5 minute intervals because you don't want them to burn.  Depending on your oven, they should be done anywhere from 10-15 minutes.

Let cool to room temperature and then put all the nuts into the processor.  This could take anywhere from 10-20 minutes depending on your machine and you will need to stop and start to scrape down sides of processor.

You can double or triple the recipe.  I found that this combo is the best one for us.  The pecans seem to work really well in combo with the almonds, and the oils get released very nicely with these two together.  You get a smooth consistency very identical to peanut butter.  The kids and I were eating this by the spoonfuls, and they are going to try this in place of peanut butter from now on.




Oh forgot to add that this makes a fabulous filling for celery sticks.

4 comments:

  1. Oh WOW Sis that looks divine! Send some my way! You should totally make a little cookbook of all of your recipes from Primal Style! They would make fun gifts esp if you included a jar of this to go with it ;) Just saying...:)

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! :)
    Yes, this would make a good gift but I want to keep it all to myself--hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow this looks amazing. I make 'nutella' by adding in cocoa powder to hazlenut butter with a pinch of stevia, so good on apple slices!

    ReplyDelete
  4. FF & F,

    That sounds amazing too! I remember checking out Gillian's video on that recipe (from MDA). I was very tempted to add some cocoa powder to this almond-pecan butter but we have since ate every bit of this jar! Addictive stuff :-)

    ReplyDelete