Friday, October 22, 2010

Primal Honey Grahams

This is a recipe adapted from The Gluten Free Almond Flour Cookbook.  I usually replace all the agave nectar called for in her recipes with honey.  I usually adapt most of the recipes to my own variations because I have found what works best for me, and I advise you to do the same.  This recipe is actually her "Tropical Chocolate Chip Cookies" (pg. 99) recipe, so as you can tell I really made something totally different using my imagination.  Next time I could add the chocolate chips that she calls for, but I would melt them (1/2 cup) or possibly add cacao powder and make "Chocolate Grahams".  I think the kids would devour those too!

2 1/2 Cups Almond Flour
1/2 Tsp sea salt
1/2 Tsp baking soda
1/2 Cup extra virgin coconut oil (melted to liquid)
1/2 Cup honey
1 Tbl vanilla extract
1/2 Cup oven toasted raw almonds (crush after roasting in oven)
1/2 Cup oven toasted unsweetened shredded coconut

Now she has these as cookies, but I am using the dough to make "crackers".  Once the dough is incorporated (mix dry and wet separately, then combine), you will roll the dough out on parchment paper on a cookie sheet, using a top layer of parchment with the dough sandwiched between.  Roll until flat to about 1/4" thickness.  Bake at 350 degrees for 7-10 minutes.  Once out of the oven I use a pizza slicer to make squares.  Let them cool and refrigerate.  These are fantastic the next day out of the fridge.  We took them on a pumpkin patch field trip and the kids loved them.  I enjoyed some with Ginger Tea sweetened with honey and lots of heavy cream.  Yum, Yum

PS: Something tells me I am going to be making a crust with this soon, I think this would make the perfect cheesecake holder =)!!!


Happy Fall! (from the Primal Honey Graham taste testers and approval committee)

No comments:

Post a Comment